Saturday, September 12, 2026

I Did It Again



What?  I bought a bunch of plants (36) sight unseen from a garden-landscaping place going out of business.

I did this once before, two years ago, acquiring 48 potted bushes. 

Jumping into the dark back then, I came away thinking I’d actually gotten a good deal.

It’s the same on-line auction house this time, and the two most notable purchases are 20 winter-hardy ferns (unknown species) and 4 Mountain Fire Pieris, both of which are destined for the dappled shade under my 90 foot oaks in the backyard.

The other 12 plants are bee-feeder plants of various types — a sop to the residents of my five bee hives. 

With about 125 new day-lilies in the ground, and many, many Black-eyed Susans and Cat Mints split from an overcrowded bed back in June, the orchard area and side yard should be fun to see leaf- and flower-out next spring.  

This area already has about 400 daffodils planted two years ago under 8 apple trees, 3 peach trees, 2 cherry trees, 3 plum trees, 2 crab apple trees, and an Asian pear. The fruit trees are all doing well and getting too tall for deer to harm, and I hope to see more produce next year.

On the upside, I now have a working lawn tractor and cart (the mouse in the carb problem has been sorted), a good pile of screened dirt, and several piles of wood chip mulch to help the new plants along.  

But will I still have to dig 36 holes in rocky soil?  

Nope.  I’ll have to dig 61 holes.  I’ve still got about 20 Hay-scented Ferns to get into the ground, as well as five larger evergreen ferns in pots.

No rest for the weary, but no complaints either.

——-

The picture of the Mountain Fire Pieris is NOT what mine will *ever* look like.  I’m a realist.

1 comment:

  1. I knocked out the over-20 Hay-scented ferns this morning.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated, and all zombies, trolls, time wasters, and anonymous cowards will be shot.

If you do not know what that means, click here and read the whole thing.

If you are commenting on a post, be sure to actually read the post.

New information, corrections, and well-researched arguments are always appreciated.

- The Management