Wednesday, September 30, 2026

An Air-pruning Propagation Bed





I made an air-pruning bed to start up some tree seedlings and cuttings. 

An air-pruning bed is an elevated, mesh-bottom propagation frame which naturally prunes roots and stops the creation of tap root due to air exposure at the bottom.

The whole things was made from scrap stuff I had in the shed. I used two layers of mesh — half inch welded backed by heavier rabbit wire. This propagation frame will be set on four log rounds to keep it 10-12 inches in the air, and the bottom covered with a thin layer of Fall leaves, topped by good soil. 

I’ve got several small Redbuds started (pulled up from the yard), and will collect a passel of hardwood cuttings from dogwoods in the next few weeks — Korean Dogwoods, if I can find them, and Red Twig Dogwood


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated, and all zombies, trolls, time wasters, and anonymous cowards will be shot.

If you do not know what that means, click here and read the whole thing.

If you are commenting on a post, be sure to actually read the post.

New information, corrections, and well-researched arguments are always appreciated.

- The Management