While kayaking today, I watched dozens of Tree Swallows skimming low over the water, scooping up insects.
The females are fairly drab brown, but the males are a magnificent cerulean blue.
I watched five or six birds zip into fist-sized holes in an overhanging rock cliff. No doubt their young are inside.
As I paddled away from the cliff, it occurred to me that Tree Swallows have nested in these hard stone holes for scores of thousands — perhaps hundreds of thousands — of years.
Modern humans and their cars, kayaks, and houses are but a wink in their time line. No doubt, on the eve of human extinction, Tree Swallows will still be flitting in and out of these stone holes along the river.
I like that. I like to see signs of hope and endurance.
What’s the line? “Hope is the thing with feathers.”
Yes, indeed.

No comments:
Post a Comment
All comments are moderated, and all zombies, trolls, time wasters, and anonymous cowards will be shot.
If you do not know what that means, click here and read the whole thing.
If you are commenting on a post, be sure to actually read the post.
New information, corrections, and well-researched arguments are always appreciated.
- The Management