Friday, June 18, 2021

An Odd and Armored Animal


Armadillos have a carapace (shell) like a turtle, but unlike a turtle (or the human skull), not all of the plates come together to fuse solid. The completed skeleton is quite remarkable, as can seen above.

Armadillos have — somehow — managed to expand their range from Texas and Louisiana northward all the way to Wisconsin. A digging animal, they are sometimes hunted with terriers.

I have no experience with this creature as they have not yet come to the mid-Atlantic, though I read that they may do so eventually. They appear to have invaded (in low numbers) the most south-western counties in North Carolina -- as close as they have come, so far.

Armadillos can swim well, have terrible eyesight, a terrific sense of smell, and mostly eat insects and small vertebrates like frogs. They are not very aggressive, but are remarkable jumpers and diggers. 

1 comment:

  1. When I lived in Florida my Labradors enjoyed killing them and did so often. I'd think they are a bit big for a terrier and they don't burrow very deep.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated, and all zombies, trolls, time wasters, and anonymous cowards will be shot.

If you do not know what that means, click here and read the whole thing.

If you are commenting on a post, be sure to actually read the post.

New information, corrections, and well-researched arguments are always appreciated.

- The Management