Saturday, February 16, 2013

Safeway Seems So Pale After H-Mart

I took a quick run to H-Mart, one of our local Korean grocery stores, for four tupperware bins of dried tomatoes.  This is one of my favorite stores for the massive produce section, the great quality, the low prices and (oddly enough) the great musical soundtrack which is optimistic rock tunes (think "Sunshine Superman") from the late 60s and early 1970s.



Yellow Squash

Daikon Radish

Aloe Cactus leaves and Prickly Pear Cactus leaves

Green Pepper and Holland Peppers

Vietnamese Green Pepper

Red Hot Peppers

Snow Peas and Pomelos


Bitter Melon, Chinese Okra, Chinese Long Squash 

Indian Eggplant







Sheepshead

Milkfish

Tilapia

Salmon Heads

Entire aisle of Soy and Fish Sauce

Dried Mushrooms

3 comments:

Cassandra Was Right said...

One of my few regrets about leaving NoVa for Texas was leaving my local- Annandale - H Mart behind. Luckily there are a lot of Asian and Middle Eastern shops in the San Antonio area, and one large grocery that sells all the oddball vegetables and fruits that most Texans don't use. It's lucky that I live about 40 miles away from the city, or my money would be spent the day after I get it.

John said...

We frequent our local Asian supermarket and I love the variety and quality of the fresh produce. They also have reasonably priced meat bones that I give as an occasional treat for the dogs.

oldgreymare said...

My first experience with an Asian Supermarket was Grand Mart, just a quarter mile or so from the Centreville, VA H. Mart. I was like a kid in a candy store. I managed to hook up with another American lady (we were the only 2 Americans in the whole store) who had been there before and we spent almost 3 hours there. It's too bad that the mainstream stores are so limited in what they have. I get frustrated with the limited selection of seafood, vegs. and fruits we Americans have to choose from not to mention grains, sauces and condiments. I have also been to H. Mart and spent a couple of hours in there too. I don't get to these 2 stores as often as I would like as they are about 30 miles from where I live in Warrenton, VA. It's like going on a field trip every time I go and I always find something unusual to try. I bought some dried tomatoes at H. Mart and found them to be very salty. I just boiled most of the salt out of them and use them in sauces and on sandwiches for my husband. Thanks for the great pictures. I've been wanting to go again and you've just piques my desire that much more. Lorri