Six Gun Facts
|Click to enlarge. Source: FactCheck.org|
- Hammers and clubs kill more people in America than rifles or shotguns (see FBI murder statistics here).
- Knives and fists also kill more people every year than rifles or shotguns.
- Guns are more often used in suicides than homicide – owning a gun increases mortality risk to the owner a little more than it increases risk to the general public.
- Homicide by gun is actually going down. In fact, 2011 was the lowest rate for gun murder in the U.S. in the last 30 years.
- Violent crime is going down rapidly. Violent crime includes murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault.
- Murder rates and violent crime is going down even as gun ownership is going up.