Monday, December 31, 2012

I Make Plans and God Laughs

At least the little dogs played ball!

I had the idea of driving up to Shenandoah National Park and showing my 24-year old son a terrific little four-mile hike down past a half dozen really splendid waterfalls with jaw dropping scenery all around. No one would be there in winter, and it's a terrific run to do with a big powerful dog that can go up and down rocks.  The little terriers would stay home.

A two hour drive later, we get within three or four miles, and the road is closed due to ice. The Ranger turns us around.   Sorry boys.

Back down the mountain. Stopped off at a small town for coffee (a two hour detour) which was OK, but this was not the day we wanted.

So ends 2012 -- not with a bang, but with a whimper. Hope my daughter is doing a better job of it in Panama.
.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Ah. Well. Worth the try, anyway.

I was in the Maryland/DC area one winter helping my aunt move to Boston. She took me over to the parks in West Virginia. Absolutely beautiful in winter. Rapid waters, craggy rocks, still winter trees.

Gorgeous.

PBurns said...

Camera Trap Codger has left a new comment on your post "I Make Plans and God Laughs":

Oh well, there's always the Dickey Ridge trail past the old Snead Farm, a short walk from the visitor center. Nothing like the falls, but watching the hang gliders there in the summer is a quite a treat. HNY!