Saturday, November 13, 2010

Was $18.95, Now $4,000


These were the kind of ads that used to be in the back of comic books when I was a kid.  To this day, exotic pets continue to appeal to young people with weak bank accounts and unstable lives who think buying an exotic might be "cool" -- like owning a pair of zebra-striped pants.  Of course, odd pants can be tossed to the back of a closet and forgotten when you decide that "personality" does not quite fit.  Not so with an animal that may live a decade or more.

Today Squirrel Monkeys cost over $4,000 each and require a special license, and in most locations they are entirely illegal.   Baby raccoons can be had for $250 or so, but they too generally require a special license and/or are entirely illegal. 

For the record, both animals make lousy pets.  They are far more work than most people are prepared for, and in practice they are far less fun than owning a dog or cat.
.

4 comments:

Viatecio said...

In the city where I lived during college, there was a lady who had skunks and raccoons. She'd owned them for years and was obviously just the right kind of person to care for them.

Interestingly enough, she also talked about how most pet skunks are so inbred because most of them come from a breeding farm in Iowa. Heart conditions seem to be the most prevalent, and that's what killed her favorite skunk. Ironically, it was that skunk that introduced me to her! (Seriously, when someone is in her front yard walking a black-and-white non-dog/cat thing on a leash, it tends to get stares.)

Her brother had foxes, and they looked very well-cared for.

All in the family, I guess. I just know, after talking with this woman, that I'm not a raccoon person. Skunk person, maybe, but definitely not at this point in my life.

Seahorse said...

Amazing that the monkey cost so much less than the raccoon. And Sea Monkeys were even less! As were X-Ray glasses...

Seahorse ;)

Unknown said...

My grandfather actually sent off for one of the spider monkeys when I was seven years old to everyones suprise it showed up one day. It was in it free cage (wooden crate) and was as wild as a bug. I can still remember it and my younger brother in a tug of war over a fried chicken leg at the dinner table. LOL Mom mad me get rid of it before my sister was born in 1963. We also had a young racoon once, it was fun but as it got older it started to get mean and it bit really hard. Dogs are more fun by far.

FrogDogz said...

About forty years ago, my older brother bought a spider monkey from our local pet store.

It was a horrid little thing that would screech at me through the screen doors, and once pulled a bloody chunk of hair out of my brother's head.

I have no idea what he did with it, ultimately, but I know it didn't stick around for long...