Saturday, December 19, 2009

The Big Snow

The snow is still coming down. I went out to bang some of the snow off a few bushes and the holly tree. While I was out, the dogs joined me, and I took a few quick pictures.


Snow on the back patio furniture.


Snow on the greenhouse. The small square is where I mount my camera trap for my yard fox pictures. They come right up to the house.


A few of my bird feeders. This is just off to the side of the greenhouse.


Mountain plows through the upper yard.


The snow is actually taller than her back.


Pearl plays in the snow.




Trooper, the old man, still rules all. He is a bit slower, of course, and he does not bound through the snow. He trudges. Grudgingly. He would rather be asleep in his nice warm house, but if I come out, there is always a good chance there will be a few pieces of kibble to be had. Can't miss that!
..

10 comments:

Viatecio said...

That's amazing, and I'm slightly jealous! Our snow was the wet and heavy kind that turns to slush at any hint of warmth. Not worth frisking about in at all! I miss being back up in Ohio's flatlands. That was where all the good stuff was.

Retrieverman said...

Your backyard looks like mine, except that I have a much larger dog, and she's having way too much fun in the snow.

I also have about two dozen dark-eyed juncos at my feeder, along with two pairs of cardinals and a trio of tufted titmice. I also have a red-bellied woodpecker and a white-breasted nuthatch.

The squirrels are staying in today. The roads are impassible, power is out everywhere but here, and the phone lines are down.

Retrieverman said...

Have you ever seen the Garfield Christmas special? I remember that Odie and Garfield wound up walking around in the snow with just their tails showing!

Gina said...

So glad to see Trooper!

And if there's no place to goooo ... let it snow, let it snow, let it snow ...

Miki said...

Welcome to my world - 'S'alright. Pretty - and it will get cold.

But that, too, is pretty.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/luvlymikimoto/4185652954/

Happy Holidays y'all.

PBurns said...

Great shot Miki!

Retrieverman has got me thinking I need to fill the feeders! Jon One tomorrow.

I busted Moby (the great white Expedition) out of the Cul de Sac and onto the road. There was no where to park her, however, so she is back at the bottom of the driveway. Hope I can get her out again in the morning!

P

Viatecio said...

Miki, that's beautiful. They're considered "junk" birds in my backyard since they swarm everywhere, but they still look pretty sometimes. Everything just kind of came together great for that one, though. Poor cold feets!

We've had a flicker pair coming to the suet feeder for a few days now. Hopefully they'll stick around...they're quite a unique bird. Between the damage from them, the red-bellies, downies and sparrows/finches, we're going through about a cake per week. The sad part is that we have a screened-in porch, so all the beautiful photo-ops that come by would look like cross-stitch patterns through the screen.

Doug said...

Patrick,
Drove through DC on Friday night - 25mph from Richmond to Fredrick - took 11 hours.

GREAT picture of pearl.

So - you going after some fox today?

PBurns said...

it's bad here doug -- Can't get out of the cul de sac, much less up to the farms.

P

Seahorse said...

I thought about measuring the snowfall, but decided it was easier just to refer to it as an ass-load.

Seahorse