Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Digging in the Woods on a Hot Day



Mountain pulls a very small groundhog that Sailor bolted to the edge of the pipe. It was nice not to have to dig this one, as it was 90 degrees in the shade.




The sette entrance is at left. Sailor is looking into a hole I dug near the entrace at a very tight turn. Somewhere down that hole is my other Russell -- Mountain -- giving a medium-sized groundhog the "what for".

This sette was on a very steep bank. The soil was very loose where it had washed down from the fields, but underneath the loam it was very hard rock -- some of it quite large pieces. They don't call this area the "Flint Hills" for nothing!

I was digging alone, and too tired to walk back to the car for the heavy Bertha, but I managed to bust up the rock a bit with the 3/4 inch bar -- the second and last groundhog of the day. I called it off a bit before noon -- the heat was just too much. The dogs were still game, but I was not.




Sailor moves a little dirt at the first sette of the day.

No comments: